We often invite experts and representatives of various community organizations to be guest speakers at our Shabbat evening services.
Past speakers include:
- Irina Manelis about Changing Immigration Policies
- Erin Patterson about Opioid Addiction
- Romy Dragon on Organ Donation
- Dr. Hsien Marx about Heart Health
- Dr. Bruce Cohen about a Developing Healthy Work/Life Balance
- Ginger O’Neil from Habitat for Humanity on Affordable Housing
- Marvin Harris on the historical African American Evergreen Cemetery
- Friday, November 8 – Marcia Grimsley sharing her story as a Jewish woman who befriended a white supremacist man
- Friday, December 6 – Shauna Ely & Cristina Ramirez, on a Jews of All Hues Panel on what it is like being Jewish and a person of color
- Friday, February 28 – Jenne´Nurse speaking about race and education
- Friday, April 24 Dr. Kelley Z. Allison from VCU Health speaking about breast screening and race in healthcare
- More speakers on the topic of racism will be announced as we finalize dates for the 2019-2020 year
If you have a suggestion for a Friday night guest speaker, please contact Rabbi Ahuva.