Focus of the class: The Hebrew alphabet and basic decoding (putting vowel and consonant sounds together to pronounce Hebrew words).
Recommended for: Those who have never studied Hebrew before or who learned the Alef Bet as a child, but could use a refresher as an adult. This class is open to the greater Richmond community, not just Jews or Or Ami members.
Tuition: Only $50 for non-members of Or Ami, with a discounted price of $36 for Or Ami members
Time: Every Tuesday from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm from June 16 to August 4, 2020
Introductory and intermediate level Hebrew classes are offered in the summer of alternating years. Introductory Hebrew is being offered in summer 2020, so Intermediate Hebrew will be offered in summer 2021. Introductory Hebrew will not be offered again until July 2022.
Location: Over Zoom (Email Address Required for Class Links)
Instructor: Rabbi Ahuva Zaches
Deadline to Register: June 9, 2020 so that we can have time to prepare enough course packets for our first class on Tuesday, June 16.
Sneak Peak at Class Materials
Here is an online taste of the first chapter:
Click here to see the first chapter of the textbook in PDF format.
Review Material by Chapter (DahBear.org)
- Video on how to use Dah Bear Website to Review Hebrew Chapters
- Chapter 1 Review
- Chapter 2 Review
- Chapter 3 Review
- Chapter 4 Review
- Chapter 5 Review
- Chapter 6 Review
Review Material by Chapter (Quizlet.com)
*If you want to play the matching games to review on Quizlet, I recommend using the consonants only links, as the vowels may be too small to see on the matching game setting.
- Video on how to do a cumulative self-test on Quizlet
- Chapter 1 – Consonants Only
- Chapter 1 – Consonant and Vowel Combinations
- Chapter 2 – Consonants Only
- Chapters 1-2 – Cumulative Review of Consonant and Vowel Combinations
- Chapter 3 – Consonants Only
- Chapters 1-3 – Cumulative Review of Consonant and Vowel Combinations
- Chapter 4 – Consonants Only
- Chapter 5 – Consonants Only
- Chapter 6 – Consonants Only
Additional Online Hebrew Practice
- Hebrew ABC’s Song
- Hebrew Alphabet Online Flashcards (Consonants Only)
- Hebrew Alphabet Matching Game (Consonants Only)
- Demonstration of Hebrew Asteroid Game
- Alef Bet Asteroid Game
- Hebrew Vowel Online Flashcards
- Hebrew Vowel Matching Game
- Special Sofit Letter Matching Game
- Hebrew Only Alphabet Memory Game
What To Do When You Just Can’t Wait
If you are interested in Hebrew and are eager to start learning, you don’t have to wait until July. There are many things you can do before then!
1. Start attending Shabbat Services at Or Ami at 7:30 pm on Fridays to learn Hebrew sounds through prayer and songs.
2. Begin reading Jewish books and websites, watching Jewish movies, and listening to Jewish music with Hebrew.
|Learn more about Hebrew as a language||Become familiar with Hebrew words through Jewish and Israeli music.|