Focus of the class: The Hebrew alphabet and basic decoding (putting vowel and consonant sounds together to pronounce Hebrew words).
Recommended for: Those who have never studied Hebrew before or who learned the Alef Bet as a child, but could use a refresher as an adult. This class is open to the greater Richmond community, not just Jews or Or Ami members.
Tuition: Only $50 for non-members of Or Ami, with a discounted price of $36 for Or Ami members
Time: Every Tuesday from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm in July and August 2020
Introductory and intermediate level Hebrew classes are offered in the summer of alternating years. Introductory Hebrew was offered in summer 2018, so Intermediate Hebrew will be offered in summer 2019. Introductory Hebrew will not be offered again until July 2020.
Location: Congregation Or Ami
Instructor: Rabbi Ahuva Zaches
Sneak Peak at Class Materials
Here is an online taste of the first chapter:
Click here to see the first chapter of the textbook in PDF format.
Online Hebrew Practice
- Hebrew ABC’s Song
- Hebrew Alphabet Online Flashcards (Consonants Only)
- Hebrew Alphabet Matching Game (Consonants Only)
- Hebrew Vowel Online Flashcards
- Hebrew Vowel Matching Game
- Special Sofit Letter Matching Game
- Hebrew Only Alphabet Memory Game
What To Do When You Just Can’t Wait
If you are interested in Hebrew and are eager to start learning, you don’t have to wait until July. There are many things you can do before then!
1. Start attending Shabbat Services at Or Ami at 7:30 pm on Fridays to learn Hebrew sounds through prayer and songs.
2. Begin reading Jewish books and websites, watching Jewish movies, and listening to Jewish music with Hebrew.
|Learn more about Hebrew as a language||Become familiar with Hebrew words through Jewish and Israeli music.|